Christopher Columbus High School seeks a dynamic leader to serve as President of the Catholic college preparatory school for young men founded in 1958 by the Marist Brothers. We proudly incorporate the Marist Mission into all we do: “To make Jesus known and loved.” The school, inspired by the spirit of Saint Marcellin Champagnat, the founder of the Marist Brothers, seeks to emulate the role of Mary through the nurturing of youth by a caring faculty and in the showing of a special concern for the less fortunate.
The President is the Chief Executive Officer of Columbus High School, appointed by the Board of Directors and approved by the Provincial of the Marist Brothers, Province of the United States. The President has final responsibility for the religious and educational programs of the school, long-range planning, as well as all aspects of the school’s general operations, financial management and institutional advancement. Columbus currently enrolls approximately 1,700 students, supported by approximately 129 professional staff.
The ideal candidate demonstrates the following qualities and capabilities:
- An accomplished educator, administrator, preferably with administrative experience in academic positions, or a business leader who is a practicing Catholic with a passion for Catholic education and is willing to embrace the Marist tradition. Experience with a Marist Brothers Schools is preferred and experience with other Catholic Schools is valued in a candidate.
- A collaborative, engaging leadership style with the ability to inspire and motivate the school community. The President is the “face of Columbus” and responsible for developing relationships within the school and the surrounding community at large. The President will be the “front and center” with media, donors, business community and other non-profits to increase funding and awareness.
- The successful candidate will possess exemplary communication skills with a high level of professionalism, confidentiality and integrity.
- A strategic thinker who is committed to excellence and can lead the school into the future.
- Proven financial management, development, and philanthropic skills.
- Fluent with current technology and leveraging data.
- A tireless work ethic.
- An advanced degree in a relevant discipline, along with demonstrated senior leadership experience.
- Exercises final responsibility for the quality and effectiveness of the school’s complete religious and educational program in accordance with Columbus High School’s mission and the educational mission of the Marist Brothers, bearing particular responsibility for developing the spiritual life of the school.
- Assists and facilitates the work of the Board of Directors, implements Board decisions and serves as an ex-officio member of the Board.
Leads and facilitates effective communication between and among Columbus High School, the Provincial Council of the Marist Brothers, the Board of Directors, alumni, parents, community groups and the public.
Manages long-range planning for the school including institutional advancement, capital funding and plant, facilities and institutional resources.
Prepares a business plan for review by the Executive Committee and presents it to the Board of Directors.
Assumes final responsibility for the hiring of all personnel and signs all contracts.
Appoints the Principal with the approval of the Board of Directors.
Supervises and evaluates the work of the Principal including the review and approval of the Principal’s appointment of Administrators.
Supervises and evaluates the work of the Director of Technology, Director of Buildings and Grounds and the President’s Administrative Assistant.
Supervises and evaluates the work of the Development Director and assists with fundraising for Columbus High School.
Supervises and evaluates the work of the Business Manager including:
The planning and management of the annual school budget in concert with the Principal and the Board of Directors.
The effective maintenance of the plant in concert with the Principal and the Director of Buildings and Grounds.
- Supervises and evaluates the work of the Director of Admissions including recruitment, admissions, scholarships and financial aid.
- Serves as the primary liaison of Columbus to the Archdiocese of Miami.
- Assumes any additional duty required by the school.
About the School:
Christopher Columbus High School is a Catholic, college preparatory, all-male secondary school open to all students without regard to race, religion, or national origin. Established in 1958, the school fosters three distinct traditions: the pursuit of academic excellence, the heritage of Catholic education, and the unique spirit and mission of the Marist Brothers which aims to nurture the growth of the whole student in heart, mind, and body.
Set on a beautifully landscaped 19-acre campus in Miami, Florida, Columbus High School features seamless integration of cutting edge technology in the learning process facilitated by a one-to-one student iPad program, campus-wide Wi-Fi, Smart and Clear Touch technology software in all classrooms, fully-equipped science and computer labs, a media center and TV production studio. and a comprehensive up-to-date digital-based library.
Outstanding athletic facilities include a fully equipped wellness and fitness center, a football/soccer field, a baseball complex, gymnasium, and state-of-the-art athletic training and conditioning areas. As the largest Catholic all-boys high school in Florida competing in sports at the 9A level, Columbus High School has a long history of winning championships.
An essential component of our school mission is also fostering a family spirit among all who have a stake in the success of the school and promoting opportunities for them to work as a community of learners. Educational best practices and love of learning start with sustained, purposeful and practical professional development opportunities for our staff. Our strong and active alumni and parent associations also contribute generously with their time, talent and treasure to the success of the school, providing mentorship programs, lecture series, development support, scholarships, and a vibrant network beyond the high school years.
Columbus students come from all areas of Miami-Dade County. While 86% are primarily of Hispanic descent in a mix of heritage background and recent Latin American arrivals, the school also hosts several international students from Europe, and Asia. The student ethnic/racial make-up is 96% Caucasian, 3% African-American, and 1% combination of Asian/Pacific, Pacific Islander and Native American/Alaskan. Total student enrollment is about 1,700 with 391 in the 2018 graduating class.
Candidates are asked to submit resume, cover letter and references to email@example.com
. Additional information, including official transcripts may be requested. All applications are to be made by email; resumes received by mail will not be considered. The deadline for applications will be November 23, 2018.