The CFO assumes managerial responsibility for the financial operations of the School and oversees the plant. S/he is responsible for safeguarding the assets of the School and ensuring that all financial and operations functions meet the needs of the School. Reports to the President of the School.
• Directs and performs duties and tasks, as needed, associated with all aspects of finance, including: financial accounting and controls, budgeting; analysis and reporting; insurance; negotiation and financial management of contracts; and general administration.
• Collaborates with the President and division administrators to ensure that programs remain on budget and are scaled to financial means.
• Serves as the financial and administrative advisor to the President and provides appropriate access to the School's financial information to the Board of Directors through the President.
This position requires a hands-on financial professional who is prepared to grapple with and resolve issues in real time as needed.
• Accounts for funds entrusted to the School; maintains current, accurate financial records of operations and the financial position of the school.
• Provides all financial information necessary for current operations, assessments and future planning. Analyzes the costs of all school departments.
• Prepares implements and manages annual operating and capital budgets.
• Manages cash effectively; maintains an internal control structure.
• Supervises personnel who handle accounts payable, tuition receivables, banking, payroll & benefit programs, personnel records, human resources, student store, food service, transportation and facilities.
• Work with the Board of Directors closely on fiscal management, financial analysis, short and long-term projections, major expenditures, and financial planning.
• Negotiates school health benefit programs and food management contracts, long-term equipment rentals, utilities providers, sports field partners, and construction agreements.
Campus Safety, Plant Management, Food Service and Transportation:
• Assists the President in campus safety and risk management efforts.
• Assists the President with plant management through supervision of the Facilities and Food Service.
• Assists the President and Chair of the Building and Grounds Committee with repairs, additions, improvements to the physical plant, building projects, work of architects, contractors and planners.
• Develops the capital budget in coordination with the President and the Board of Directors.
• Fosters professional standards and development by participating in local and national organizations such as NBOA.
• Manages several daily operations of the School fostering good business practices throughout.
• Writes an annual report at the conclusion of each school year.
• Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university.
• At least five years of proven managerial, problem-solving and planning capability.
• Significant experience in responsibly managing financial, administrative and day-to-day business operations.
• Passion for continuous process improvement, accuracy and detail.
• Ability to interpret and explain complex issues and their financial/operational implications.
• Strong, hands-on experience in financial management including analysis and reporting, budgeting, asset management, audit compliance, federal and state tax regulations and reporting procedures.
• Ability to strategize and develop mechanisms to manage expenses.
• Excellent interpersonal, written, oral communication skills with a demonstrated ability to communicate effectively and relate well to students, parents, staff, faculty, and others.
• Must be highly analytical and able to multitask and complete projects in a timely manner.
• Detail oriented and organized.
• Ability to employ flexibility and creativity in the execution of duties.
• Must be able to work under pressure.
• CPA and/or MBA preferred
• Executive managerial experience in the nonprofit sector
• Prior experience as a Chief Financial Officer or equivalent
• Presentation skills
• Knowledge of Blackbaud software.