As part of our commitment to help students achieve academic success, Christopher Columbus High School has an on-staff Learning Specialist who works closely with families whose children have unique learning needs. All requests for accommodations will be considered on a case-by-case basis by Columbus’ Learning Specialist Ms. Betty Vinson, who works in partnership with CCHS administration to ensure appropriate compliance and follow through with special learning plans are created for students in need.
Educational Support Via:
- Coordinating curricular development for students with varying exceptionalities
- Reviewing all psycho-educational evaluations and Individual Educational Plans (IEP) and acting as liaison between students and teachers to assure that all accommodations are being appropriately executed
- Working along with department heads and teachers to assist in the implementation of curriculum
- Observe students in classroom settings based in teacher’s request to help with appropriate practices
- Meet regularly with students of designated groups to address academic issues and concerns
- Provide the maximum level of support for students utilizing all resources (study hall, peer tutoring, etc.) provided by Columbus
Guideline & Accommodation Requests
All requests for accommodations must be accompanied by a recent (within 3 years) psycho-educational evaluations and Individual Educational Plans (IEP). The assessment and the request should be sent to Ms. Betty Vinson. Accommodations will not be granted without submission of professionally administered assessments.